Chive and Cheese Potato Waffles with Herb Gravy and Crispy Onions
Ingredients for Waffles
2lbs Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1tsp garlic powder
2tsp creole seasoning
½ tsp smoked paprika
1/4c vegan cheddar
1/2c fresh corn
1/4c vegan parmesan
2 Tbsp chives chopped
Ingredients for gravy
1 shallot minced
4 garlic cloves minced
1/4c vegan butter
2 tsp fresh thyme
2tsp fresh rosemary
1tsp creole seasoning
2c all purpose flour
¼ c maple syrup
2c vegetable broth
2Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
Ingredients for onions
½ medium white onion, halved, thinly sliced
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
Vegetable oil, (for frying; about 8 cups)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon creole seasoning
Method for waffle
- Place potatoes in a large pot, fill with cold water (season water with salt), and bring to a boil.
- Cook potatoes until tender, drain, and mash.
- Season potatoes with garlic powder, creole seasoning, and smoked paprika
- Fold in cheese, corn and chives
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary
- Heat waffle iron and spray with non-stick spray
- Place a mound of potato mixture in the waffle iron and cook until golden and crispy.
- Remove waffle and serve immediately with Herb gravy and top with crispy onions
Method for gravy
- Over medium high heat saute shallots and garlic in vegan butter until translucent
- Add the herbs and creole seasoning and continue cooking for another 2 minutes
- Combine tamari, maple syrup, Worcestershire, and vegetable broth in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in vegetable broth mixture, a little at a time, until a smooth sauce forms.
- Simmer 2 to 3 minutes until thickened.
- Adjust seasonings and serve
Method for onions
1.Whisk almond milk and mayonnaise in a medium bowl
2. Add onions and toss to coat; let sit 15 minutes.
3. Fit a large saucepan with thermometer; pour in oil to measure about 2″. Heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 375°.
4. Whisk flour and creole seasoning in a shallow dish.
5. Working in batches, remove onion from buttermilk, letting excess drip back into bowl, toss in seasoned flour, and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crispy.
6. Transfer to a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt.