Baked 3 Cheese Rigatoni with Kale
1 pound rigatoni
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion chopped
1 cup mushrooms
1pound ground bison
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 recipe tomato sauce
8 ounces fresh mozzarella,
8 ounce smoked gouda
4 ounces shredded asiago
1/2 bunch kale, stems removed,
Fresh ground pepper
Method for Rigatoni
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add rigatoni, and cook, stirring occasionally.
3. Drain in a colander, and rinse under cool water until cool. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium high heat.
4. Add the onions, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, then transfer to a bowl.
5. Add the beef, garlic, crushed red pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
6. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook beef while stirring often and breaking up with a spoon, until browned.
7. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
8. Cook until the liquid thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Add the onions, mushrooms,and adjust seasonings.
10. Mix in the pasta, 3/4 cup mozzarella, gouda, 2 ounces asiago, and kale
11. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining cheeses.
12. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes, then broil until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onions chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
3 1/2 cups canned fire roasted tomatoes
Method for Tomato Sauce
1. Sauté onions in a medium pan over medium heat.
2. Season with salt, and pepper and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft.
3. Add garlic and cook until softened (be careful not to burn it)
4. Add thyme and continue cooking.
5. Stir in roasted tomatoes with juices and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer, stirring often to prevent sticking, until sauce has thickened
7. Purée sauce in a food processor
8. Adjust seasonings and let sauce cool