Chickpea Meatball Subs
Ingredients for meatballs
1 cup cooked farro
½ cup pecans
2 Tbsp red onion chopped
10 cloves garlic, peeled
15 oz can chickpeas, drained
¼ cup vegan parmesan
¼ cup vegan gouda
3 Tbsp smoked sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
8 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup bread crumbs
1 cup (packed) basil leaves
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onions chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
3 1/2 cups canned fire roasted tomatoes
Method for meatballs
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Combine farro, pecans, onion, 5 cloves garlic, chickpeas, parmesan, gouda, smoked tomatoes, 2 Tbsp oil, oregano, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs in the bowl of a food processor and process until you have a thick mixture
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- Form the chickpea mixture into balls using a medium ice cream scoop.
- To brown meatballs line them up on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil and bake in the oven until golden brown about 15 minutes each side.
Method for Tomato Sauce
- Sauté onions in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Season with salt, and pepper and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft.
- Add garlic and cook until softened ( be careful not to burn it)
- Add thyme and continue cooking.
- Stir in roasted tomatoes with juices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and bring to a simmer, stirring often to prevent sticking, until sauce has thickened
- Purée sauce in a food processor
- Adjust seasonings and let sauce cool
- Preheat Broiler
- Place basil, remaining garlic, and olive oil in a food processor and process to a smooth paste; season with salt and pepper.
- Smear half of basil mixture over cut sides of rolls and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Broil rolls until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Place meatballs inside rolls, then top with sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan (if you have some left).
- Broil until mozzarella is melted and b, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon a little more sauce and remaining basil mixture over sandwiches.